Mar 12, 2008

March 12, 2008 The Opera House

(For starters, Yes I realize I need to wear a different swimsuit to the beach this weekend to work on that nice tan line:)

I had a long day of class and then I headed to the Sydney Opera House to see the Vertical Hour. It was a really interesting play. A modern day story about an American war correspondent/professor at Yale and the struggles she goes through in dealing with others lack of care for the world and the horror she has seen. It was actually really well balanced. Most of the time you don’t see a positive portrayal of the war in Iraq. With it being in Sydney I would have thought that it would have a negative view of Americans but surprisingly I was pretty impressed with the accuracy. Of course it wasn’t perfect. But I think probably an accurate portrayal of an academic American who originally supported the war for humanitarian reasons but feels a good idea… but that was carried out in a really bad way. I just personally found the content very interesting and relevant because I am always being asked several questions. Who am I voting for? (undecided) What do I think of Bush/ Iraq? And Yesterday I got this one which made my jaw drop… I was having a conversation with a girl from RMC and I mentioned that I go to school in Ohio. And she was like “didn’t they just have a school shooting” and I have kept up fairly well with the news and I was like I don’t think so but have you heard something and then she was like “or was it an election, I forget who has what” Yeah so pretty much what we are known for is either our screwed up political races or our screwed up kids that think the way to solve their issues is to kill other kids. :( Yea America! :)

No comments: