Apr 27, 2008

April 19, 2008- Oh Wait... Some more Bush Walking



We got to sleep in this morning we didn’t get up until 7. We broke down camp and then headed to Kings Canyon we did our hike early before the sun was out in full force. The first bit of the hike is called Heart Attack hill because it is pretty much straight up vertically for about 15-20 min at a normal/quick speed. It took our group 20 min. but they allow for 30 min. Which was a nice lung stretcher then we spent the next couple hours walking along the top of the canyon and then we descended half way to a watering hole where we had morning tea. Then back to the top for the 5 k hike back to the car. Which really wasn’t that bad though you are so busy looking down making sure not to fall that you miss out on some of the cool sights all around you. At one point I was so focused on my steps that I didn’t see a tree branch across the trail and I smacked my head so hard it made a clunking sound and left a large knot on it for several days. We got back to the bus around lunch time and we headed to a picnic bay and made up taco’s for lunch then we got back in the bus for the 6 hour trip back to Alice Springs. Two girls had to switch groups to get back to Uluru so there was a spare seat so I had my own seat which was nice for the trip back and I slept, wrote in my journal and read. It was really neat while we were driving back we saw a small pack of Wild Brumbies (Horses) which pretty much made my outback experience. When we got back to Alice Springs we all were dropped off to shower which was much needed because we had been sleeping and doing everything in the dirt for the past 3 days. We met up for dinner all together which was nice but also kind of funny because Alice Springs isn’t safe to walk around at night by yourself especially me being a lone white American girl so I had to get a taxi to the restaurant so I paid $20 in taxi fares to go to a $5 meal which is funny but I was paying for the company not the food. J

No comments: