Jul 10, 2008

SLT Week 1

An update from the UP (aka Upper Pennisula of Michigan) SLT is great! I am having such a blast an learning so much! It is wonderful be around 80 or so student leaders that have chosen to give up their summer to spend a month with God and grow in their faith. It has been really encouraging and because most of the people are the leaders of their chapters they are really fun. So You all know me :) I love to play sport and so does a good majority of people here so we have played volleyball on the sand courts non stop(well during free time at least) and I rock at Carpet Ball. But that is just during free time. We are having an exposition each night out of the book of Job that has been really good. I had actually just read Job while in Australia so it is nice to go deeper and dig into it. We get up for breakfast at 8 everyday and then the first two mornings we did 3 hour bible studies on 2 timothy. Today we started our talks on leadership within ministry and what that looks like. This mornings class was on Ethnicity and how God's call is for us to be multiethnic in our ministries and how are we responding to that call within our lives and our relationships. It is some good stuff. I can't wait to share with you more. It is hard to explain what is happening when the little internet time ticker at the library is counting down on me.
It feels like camp should be winding down and tomorrow night we will have a sweet bonfire and then our parents will drive up and get us... NOT we get another 3 weeks of this !! I am stoked! We are near Cedarville Michigan on the UP. the camp is on a little pennisula off the larger pennisula. When I look out my window in the morning I can see water on 3 sides. It is SWEET!! A great place to experience God's creation. We are broken into family groups that we share and the goal is that is the place where we can be extremely open and honest with eachother. Which is definetly happening. My group is 4 guys, 2 girls and a girl leader (I think this is one of the first times ever I have been in a christian setting where the guys far out numbered the girls.) but it is great when it comes to sport.
Dad told me one thing before I left "don't go in any cold lakes" and that is the one thing I have done ;) We had to take a swimming test so we could go out in the sail boats and if we took it when the water was under 60 degrees we only had to do half the distance and half the time treading water. So I decided it was worth it and probably 30 of us did it. So it was safe but REALLY COLD!!!
Well my time is almost up so I will hopefully update you next week
Love, Julie

No comments: